Mount Desert Rock
is a treeless island about 25 nautical miles south
of Bar Harbor. Because of its location a lighthouse was placed on the
island in the 19th century. In addition to the lighthouse the island has a
house and barn used to house light-keeper families. As with nearly all
lighthouses the operation of the light is now automated. Now the
island is the
home of the Edward McC. Blair Marine Research Station.
In the early 1970s, students, staff, and faculty from College of the
Atlantic visited the island. They noted that the site was a prime location
for marine mammal research. This facility has been a key element of the work
done by Allied Whale, the whale research group at College of the Atlantic.
Currently during the whale research season the work there is powered using
diesel fuel generators.
In addition o the cost and the environmental impact of the generators,
certain types of work are influenced by the presence of the emissions from the generators. The goal of this project is to
evaluate, design and verify the application of wind power for the energy
needs of the rock.
More pictures and information at:
Hard Milestones (more to be added):
- Identify primary contact person/s at COA and MDR: September 18, 2007
- First Web page draft: September 18, 2007
- Completed interviews and summary document to determine power needs
for the research station: September 25, 2007
- Review available Literature and Publications on Maine offshore wind
- Generate a power density estimation for wind on Mount Desert Rock
- Summary Document for household and small commercial wind generation
First web page goes live with introductory
page and menu on left. Page must include resumes, individual photos and
milestones: October 11, 2007, 2 pm.
Complete evaluation of average wind speed and
Complete estimation of cost per kilowatt hour
Summery of available literature on
optimization of wind generation
- Milestone review: November 6th , 2007
- Identify hardware capable of powering the rock, generation
- Draft Midterm Report: December 6th , 2007
- Midterm Report due as a PDF posted as a completed web page: December
19th, 11:30 am
- Complete identification of control hardware requirements
- Completed total budget
- Identify sources of funding.
- Complete proposal to at least one potential source of funds for
- Lab Cleanup & Infrastructure Project Completed: Maine Day, April
- Open House -- Review of Projects, May 1st, 2008, Afternoon
- Final Web Page submitted, for review during final exam period:
Monday May 5th, 2008 Noon