The Comfort Appliance is a unit that utilizes the energy storage
capability of phase change materials. The
Comfort Appliance will consist of a heat exchanger which will store and
release energy in and out of the paraffin wax phase change material
located within it. A fan will circulate the room air through
the heat exchanger and, depending on the designed melting point of the
wax, keep air at a desired temperature. The Comfort Appliance
is a green alternative for heating and cooling with endless
For December eight quantifiable deliverables were completed that
represent our work for the first semester. The eight deliverables
can be seen below.
1. Comfort Appliance schematics for wood stove and
air conditioner use.
2. Heating and Cooling Loads for test location
using Trace 700 computer program
3. Powerpoint Presentation given to the Sawyer
Environmental Laboratory staff regarding the
the Comfort Appliance for use in their laboratories.
4. Phase Change Material evaluation based on various
material properties, PCM price, and project
5. Heat Exchanger design
6. Comfort Appliance SolidWorks model
7. Frame design given to Cianbro Corporation for
8. Paraffin Wax Thermal Conductivity tested