Campus Resources - A Guide to UMaine Services and Activities
Here’s a quick guide to campus resources, services and activities. Click on the links below to learn more.
- Career Center helps students explore the relationship between majors and careers; offers assistance with career planning, job search strategies, graduate and professional school options, internships and co-ops; and conducts mock interviews and resume workshops.
- Center for Undergraduate Research facilitates and enhances research opportunities for undergraduates. CUGR maintains a database of research and creative projects at UMaine that are open to undergraduates and matches faculty and students by projects and interests.
- Disability Support Services provides academic and personal support services for students with physical, emotional, and learning disabilities.
- Fogler Library is the largest library in the state and home to several computer clusters, including the state-of-the-art Collaborative Media Lab.
- The Foster Student Innovation Center is a place where entrepreneurial students — regardless of major — can turn their ideas into reality. UMaine also offers an Innovation Engineering minor.
- Math Lab offers free help with any math questions.
- Onward Program offers college-prep courses in writing, reading, math, and science
- Study Abroad: The University of Maine offers study abroad opportunities in Western and Eastern Europe, Central and South America, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Africa and Asia.
- Tutor Program offers free tutoring for most 100 and 200 level courses (with the exception of online courses)
- Veterans Education and Transfer Services helps students receive their full veterans education benefits, find resources on campus and navigate the application and admissions process.
- Writing Center provides free feedback for all types of writing and has specialists on staff for international and ESL students.
Campus Activities and Student Engagement
- The Student Recreation and Fitness Center boasts 140 pieces of cardio and weight equipment, a spalike pool, basketball and racquetball courts and more. It offers intramural sports, sport clubs, personal training, and dozens of fitness classes.
- Maine Bound offers adventure programming throughout the year and the climbing gym is free for UMaine students.
- UMaine is home to 15 fraternities and 7 sororities. About 11 percent of students are involved in Greek Life.
Performing and Visual Arts
- Class of 1944 Hall is home to Minsky Recital Hall, where student and professional ensembles play, and the School of Performing Arts. SPA stages two major theatrical productions a year, along with readings, one-acts and more. Venues include Hauck Auditorium and the Pavilion Theatre.
- UMaine presents national and international acts at the newly renovated Collins Center for the Arts.
- The Lord Hall Gallery showcases work by faculty, students and professional artists.
- The University of Maine Museum of Art, located in downtown Bangor, exhibits contemporary artwork and pieces from UMaine’s permanent collection.
Student Organization and Leadership Development
- Located in the Wade Center in the Memorial Union, SOLD supports more than 180 student organizations and student government with space and resources.
PERSONAL and LIFESTYLE RESOURCES
Commuter and Nontraditional Student Programs
Rainbow Resource Center
- The Rainbow Resource Center in the Memorial Union provides a library of books and films and a gathering place for UMaine’s gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgendered community, friends and supporters. All are welcome.
- There are eight religious groups on campus and several churches that offer services within walking distance of campus.
Back to Campus Resources