Faculty & Staff - Bennett-Armistead
University of Maine
225 Merrill Hall
Orono, ME 04469-5766
Assistant Professor – Literacy Area Programs
Correll Professorship of Early Literacy
Ph.D., Michigan State University, Curriculum, Teacher Education and Policy with an emphasis in Literacy
B.S., Michigan State University, Child Development and Elementary Education
Young children’s language and literacy acquisition
The role of literacy instruction in pre-k and kindergarten settings
Relationships between family literacy volunteers and their literacy learners
Longitudinal analysis of teacher induction through professional development schools
- *Logue, M.E., Bennett-Armistead, V.S., & Kim, S.J. (in press). The Persona doll project: Promoting awareness of diversity among pre-service teachers through storytelling. Social Studies Research and Practice.
- Blagojevic, B., Logue, M.E., Bennett-Armistead, V.S., Neal, E., & Taylor, B. (in press). Take a look! Visual supports for learning. Teaching Young Children.
- Forstadt, L., Bennett-Armistead, V.S., DellaMattera, J. & Doore, B. (2010). Creating Systems that Work: Navigating Parenting Education in Maine. A white paper prepared for the Maine Children’s Trust.
- Bennett-Armistead, V.S. (2009). Literacy Building Play in Preschool. New York: Scholastic.
- Bennett-Armistead, V.S., Duke, N.K. & Moses, A.M. (2007). Beyond Bedtime Stories: a parent’s guide to weaving literacy into the everyday lives of infants, toddlers and preschoolers. NY: Scholastic.
- *Bennett-Armistead, V.S., Duke, N.K. & Moses, A.M. (May, 2007). Materials for reading A to Z: Ideas for families. Online journal of the National Association of the Education of Young Children www.journal.naeyc.org/btj/200705/BTJIdeasForFamilies.asp
- Bennett-Armistead, V.S., Duke, N.K. & Moses, A.M. (2005). Literacy and the Youngest Learner: Best practices for early childhood educators. NY: Scholastic.
- Duke, N.K., Moses, A.M., Billman, A.K., Zhang, S. & Bennett-Armistead, V.S. (2006). Promoting Emergent Literacy in Licensed Care. Michigan State University. (video and booklet)
- National and Maine Assn. for the Education of Young Children-Member
- National Reading Conference/Literacy Research Association- Member
- International Reading Association-Member
- New England Reading Association-Member
- National Association of Early Childhood Teacher Educators- Member
- Association of Supervision and Curriculum Development- Member
- Correll Professorship of Early Literacy-College of Education and Human Development, University of Maine, $80,000 award for research and promotion of early literacy initiatives distributed across five years
Back to Faculty & Staff