Faculty & Staff - Caron
220 Merrill Hall
University of Maine
Orono, ME 04469-5749
Professor – Family Relations & Human Sexuality
B.S. University of Maine, 1979 (Health & Family Life Education)
M.S. University of Maine, 1982 (Human Development)
Ph.D. Syracuse University, 1986 (Human Development)
Highest degree earned: Ph.D.
- CHF 200: Family Interaction
- CHF 351: Human Sexuality
- CHF 401: Peer Education on Human Development
- HUD 618: Sexuality & Human Interaction (graduate course)
- WST 401: Women’s Sexuality
Research & public service
- My research and publications focus on the social-sexual development of young people, with an emphasis on sexual decision-making, contraceptive use, safer sex, sexual assault, sexuality education, and cross-cultural perspectives.
Public Service – served on numerous boards, some examples include
- On campus: President’s Council on Women, Gay Lesbian Bisexual Transgender Allies Council, Athletic Advisory Board, Institutional Review Board, Rape Awareness Committee
- In the State: Eastern Maine AIDS Network – Board of Directors; Family Planning Association – Board of Directors; Governor’s Task Force on Adolescent Pregnancy Prevention – Board Member; Mabel Wadsworth Women’s Health Center – Board of Directors.
- Nationally: American Association of Sex Educators, Counselors & Therapists – Board of Directors; American College Health Association – AIDS Task Force Member; National Council on Family Relations – Co-chair of the Commission on AIDS & Families.
- Caron, S.L. (2011). Sex Around the World: Cross- Cultural Perspectives on Human Sexuality, Fourth Edition. Pearson/Prentice Hall
- Caron, S.L. (2007) Sex Matters for College Students: FAQs in Human Sexuality (second edition). Prentice Hall.
Published Educational Films/DVDs/Posters for National Distribution:
- Caron, S.L. (2005-2013). Male Athletes Against Violence Poster Series. Seven posters focusing on anti-violence: We don’t tip-toe around relationship violence; Be a Man Be a Role Model: Football; Be a Man, Be a Role Model: Ice-Hockey; Join the Huddle; Stand Tough Against Violence; United Against Violence; Stereotypes? We’re Baking Changes. All distributed nationally thru the NCAA.
- Caron, S.L. (2004). Athletes for Sexual Responsibility: Rape Awareness. Video/DVD produced with University of Maine Public Affairs for national distribution (including the NCAA).
- Caron, S.L. (1999). Greek Peer Educator Program: Liquor, Lust & The Law. Video on alcohol and sexuality produced with the University of Maine Public Affairs for national distribution.
- Caron, S.L. (1996). Athletes for Sexual Responsibility: The Party. Video on alcohol and sexuality produced with the University of Maine Public Affairs for national distribution.
- Caron, S.L. (1995). Greek Peer Educator Poster Series. Twenty-five posters focusing on alcohol, risk management, and sexuality issues. Distributed nationally.
- Caron, S.L. (1994). Athletes for Sexual Responsibility Smart Sex Poster Series. Twenty posters focusing on safer sex/condom use for national distribution.
- Caron, S.L. (1993). Athletes for Sexual Responsibility: Smart Sex. Video on safer sex/condom use produced with the University of Maine Public Affairs for national distribution.
Sampling of Published Peer-Reviewed Journal Articles
- Caron, S.L. & Hinman, S. (2013) I took his V-card: An exploratory analysis of college student stories of male virginity loss. Sexuality & Culture.
- Ferland, P. & Caron, S.L. (2013) The transition to biological childlessness: Interviews with women who are infertile and remained childless. The Family Journal, 21, 180-188.
- Shipps, L.E. & Caron, S.L. (2013). Motherhood and sex: A content analysis of sexuality-related issues in popular parenting magazines. Journal of International Women’s Studies.
- Caron, S.L. & Ahlgrim, C.J. (2012). Children’s understanding and knowledge of conception and birth: Comparing children from England, The Netherlands, Sweden, and the U.S. American Journal of Sexuality Education, 7, 16-36.
- Cole, M.A. & Caron, S.L. (2010) Exploring factors which lead to successful outcomes in domestic violence cases: Interviews with case workers. Journal of Family Violence, 25, 297-310.
- Brugman, M., Caron, S.L., & Rademakers, J. (2010) Emerging adolescent sexuality: A comparison of American and Dutch women’s experiences. International Journal of Sexual Health, 22(1), 32-46.
- Saucier, J.A. & Caron, S.L. (2008). An investigation of content and media images in gay men’s magazines. Journal of Homosexuality, 55, 504-523.
- Guerette, S.M. & Caron, S.L. (2007). Assessing the impact of acquaintance rape: Interviews with women who are victims/survivors of sexual assault while in college. Journal of College Student Psychotherapy, 22, 1-50.
- Bulduc, J., Caron, S.L. & Logue, M.E. (2007). The effects of parental divorce on college students. Journal of Divorce and Remarriage, 46, 83-104.
- Proulx, N.K., Caron, S.L., & Logue, M.E. (2006) Older women/younger men: A look at the implications of age heterogamy in marriage. Journal of Couple and Relationship Therapy, 5, 43-64.
- Hutton, A.M. & Caron, S.L. (2005). Experiences of families of children with autism in rural New England. Focus on Autism and Other Developmental Disabilities, 20(3), 180-189.
- Levesque, L. & Caron, S.L. (2004). Dating preferences of women born between 1945-1960. Journal of Family Issues, 25(6), 833-846.
- Caron, S.L., Moskey, E.G. & Hovey, C.A. (2004). Alcohol use among fraternity and sorority members: Looking at change over time. Journal of Alcohol and Drug Education, 47(3), 51-66.
- Stevens, S.R., Caron, S.L.& Pratt, P. (2003). Decade in review: The importance of religion in shaping sexual attitudes of college students in the 1990s. Journal of College and Character, 2,
- Caron, S.L. & Moskey, E.G. (2002). Regrettable sex: An exploratory analysis of college students’ experiences. Journal of Psychology & Human Sexuality, 14(1), 47-54.
- Caron, S.L. & Moskey, E.G. (2002). Changes over time in teenage sexual relationships: Comparing the high school class of 1950, 1975, and 2000. Adolescence, 37(147), 515-526.
- Bachand, L.L. & Caron. S.L. (2001). Ties that bind: A qualitative study of happy long-term marriages. Contemporary Family Therapy, 23(1), 105-121.
- Reynolds, A.L. & Caron, S.L. (2000). How intimate relationships are impacted when heterosexual men crossdress. Journal of Psychology & Human Sexuality, 12(3), 63-77.
- Graduate Faculty Mentor Award, College of Education & Human Development, 2008
- Lifetime Achievement Award – Sororities, University of Maine, 2005
- University of Maine All-Maine Women, Honorary member, 2004
- Presidential Public Service Achievement Award Recipient, University of Maine, 2002
- Margaret Vaughn Award for Outstanding Contribution to Sexuality Education in Maine, Family Planning Association of Maine, 1999
- Presidential Outstanding Teaching Award Recipient, University of Maine, 1998
- Outstanding Service to the Greek Community, University of Maine, 1998
- Faculty Student-Centered Award Recipient, University of Maine, 1997
- Sex Matters: Columnist for The Maine Campus and radio talk show host on WMEB 91.9fm (both entitled “Sex Matters”).
- Peer Education: Founder & Director of 3 nationally recognized peer education programs: “Athletes for Sexual Responsibility,” and “The Greek Peer Educator Program” and “Male Athletes Against Violence.”
- Licensed Clinical Professional Counselor
- Website Host/Syndicated Columnist for College Sex Talk – http://www.collegesextalk.com
Professional Memberships & Honor Societies
- American Association of Sex Educators, Counselors, and Therapists
- American College Health Association
- American Counseling Association
- National Council on Family Relations
- National Peer Education Network (BACCHUS/GAMMA)
- Phi Kappa Phi Academic Honor Society
- Sex Information and Education Study of Sexuality
- Society for the Scientific Study of Sexuality