Faculty & Staff - Kristo
University of Maine
Orono, Maine 04469-5766
Professor – Literacy Education
- University of Connecticut, Ph.D. Elementary Education
- Teachers College, Columbia University, M.A. Curriculum and Teaching
- Assumption College, B.A. English
- Nonfiction literature
- Reading seminar
- Reading and language arts methods
- Children’s literature
Research & public service:
- Use of children’s literature in the K-8 classroom
- Using nonfiction literature in K-8 classrooms
- Editorial board for the Journal of Children’s Literature and Language Arts.
- Former membership chair for CELT (Center for the Expansion of Language and Thinking)
- Past president of the Children’s Literature and Reading Special Interest Group of the International Reading Association
- Continuous involvement with Maine schools in professional staff development
- Former board member of the New England Reading Association
- Former board member and secretary for the Children’s Literature Assembly of the National Council of Teachers of English
- Kasten, W., Kristo, J.V, & McClure, A. (2005). Living literature: Using children’s literature to support reading and language arts. Upper Saddle River, NJ: Pearson Merrill Prentice Hall.
- Kristo, J. V., & Bamford, R. A. (2004). Nonfiction in focus: A comprehensive framework for helping students become independent readers and writers of nonfiction, K-6. New York: Scholastic Professional Books.
- Bamford, R.A., & Kristo, J.V. (Eds.). (2003). Making facts come alive: Choosing and using quality nonfiction literature K-8. 2nd.Ed. Norwood, MA: Christopher-Gordon.
- McClure, A. A., & Kristo, J.V. (Eds.) (2002). Adventuring with books: A booklist for pre-k-grade 6 (13th Ed.). Urbana, IL: The National Council of Teachers of English.
- Bamford, R.A., & Kristo, J.V. Checking Out Nonfiction K-8: Good Choices for Best Learning. Christopher-Gordon, 2000.
- Fredericks, A.D., Blake-Kline, B., & Kristo, J.V. Teaching the integrated language arts: Process and practice. New York: Addison-Wesley.
- Bamford, R.A., & Kristo, J.V. (Eds.). (1998). Making facts come alive: Choosing the best nonfiction K-8. Norwood, MA: Christopher-Gordon.
- McClure, A.A., & Kristo, J.V. (1996). Books that invite talk, wonder, and play. Urbana, IL: National Council of Teachers of English.
- NCRLL (Elected to the National Conference on Research in Language Literacy)
- International Reading Association
- National Council of Teachers of English
- New England Reading Association
- Maine Reading Association
- Children’s Literature Assembly (National Council of Teachers of English)
- Children’s Literature and Reading Special Interest Group (International Reading Association)
- CELT (Center for the Expansion of Language and Thinking)
- Co-Recipient of the University of Maine Alumni Association’s Distinguished Maine Professor Award, 2008
- Co-Recipient of University of Maine Presidential Research and Creative Achievement Award, 2000
- New England Reading Association Special Recognition Award, 2003
Jan Kristo: Vitae
Image Description: Jan Kristo
Back to Faculty & Staff