All advertisements for open positions at the University of Maine must clearly state that the University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. This statement must be conspicuously placed in the announcement, which means that it is usually placed at the end of the announcement, set apart from the other text, and in another font—usually italics or bold.
The precise language is not set. The Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (“EEOC”) has commented that job advertisements may include language encouraging a particular group of individuals to apply if that group has been historically underrepresented in the position and continues to be so. If you would like to include this language, please contact Karen Kemble or Bonita Grindle to discuss the use of this language.
The following are some suggestions for equal employment/affirmative action statements that can be used in University of Maine advertising:
- The University of Maine is an EO/AA Employer.
- The University of Maine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer
- The University of Maine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer committed to maintaining an intellectually and culturally diverse faculty.
- The University of Maine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action institution committed to diversity and inclusiveness among its employees and in its programs.
- The University of Maine is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer dedicated to building a community of excellence, equity, and diversity.
- The University of Maine is committed to affirmative action, equal opportunity and the diversity of its workplace.
- The University of Maine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and provides reasonable accommodations to enable applicants with disabilities to participate in the job opportunity process.
- The University of Maine, an EO/AA employer, seeks to employ outstanding people who contribute to the rich cultural diversity expected in a university setting. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply.
- The University of Maine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and is committed to increasing diversity in campus leadership positions.
- The University of Maine is an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity employer committed to the development of an inclusive, multicultural community.
If you have any questions about the Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer statement, please call Karen Kemble or Bonita Grindle at the Office of Equal Opportunity, 581-1226.