Application Information

Applicants must thoroughly read the Application Instructions before applying to the Graduate School.

To enroll in graduate classes, students may be admitted to a graduate degree program, a graduate certificate program or as a non-degree student.

Application to Graduate Degree Programs

Applicants to master's, CAS and doctoral programs are strongly encouraged to visit the department website for additional application instructions or requirements. Please visit our listing of Graduate Degree Programs with links to each department's website and contact information for Graduate Coordinators.

For additional information about a program, applicants are also encouraged to contact the Graduate Coordinators of the Department they are interested in applying to.

Application Fee

The application fee is $65 for applications submitted via the on-line* application and $75 for applications submitted by all other methods.The University of Maine Graduate School application fee is non-refundable. Applicants can pay the fee by check, money order, cash or credit card. Checks and money orders should be made payable to The University of Maine and be in U.S. dollars drawn from a United States bank. Applicants may also pay the application fee with a Discover, MasterCard or Visa credit card when submitting the application.

* The discounted fee reflects the increased efficiency in processing the application data when submitted through our on-line application.

A waiver of the application fee will be granted to all McNair Scholars who apply to the Graduate School at the University of Maine. A letter from the McNair Director verifying participation in the program must accompany the Graduate School Application.

The departments of Chemistry and Physics provide application fee scholarships for qualified students. Please contact the departmental program coordinator to obtain more information.

The University of Maine Graduate School is pleased to provide the option of submitting our application electronically. To submit an application to the Graduate School electronically, click on the "apply online" link above.

Those who wish to submit a paper copy of the application may download and print the application by clicking HERE.

Letters of Recommendation

Applicants to the University of Maine Graduate School are required to provide THREE Letters of Recommendation.

Applicants may request Online Letters of Recommendation using the online application, have their recommenders send Letters of Recommendation via email to or applicants can download and print paper copies of the Letter of Recommendation form HERE to be completed and mailed to The Graduate School directly from the recommenders.  Social Work applicants should provide their recommenders with the following letter to assist in the letter writing process. 

Official Transcripts

ONE official transcript of all previous college or university work needs to be sent directly from the previous institutions to The University of Maine Graduate School 5775 Stodder Hall, Rm 42 Orono, Maine 04469-5775.  

Please note: The Graduate School will obtain all transcripts from the University of Maine System campuses. All other academic transcripts should be mailed directly to the Graduate School.

Graduate Examinations

Official report of scores achieved on the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) are required for admission. Exceptions to this requirement are as follows:

Please note:  Applicants to the Certificate of Advanced Study in Education, Master of Arts in Interdisciplinary Studies, Master of Fine Arts, and Master of Social Work programs are not required to submit test scores. Applicants who hold a master’s degree are not required to submit GRE’s for the CAS program in Nursing. Applicants to the Master of Music program must take departmental exams in lieu of the GRE.  Applicants to the Master of Arts in Teaching (Elementary/Secondary Education) program must submit Praxis II scores in lieu of the GRE.

In limited cases, GRE scores may not be required for admission to certain master’s or doctoral programs for those students who hold a recent master’s degree from an accredited university.

It is essential that applicants contact the department of intended study to determine specific program requirements (see our listing of Graduate Degree Programs).

Need help finding GRE testing centers? Click HERE.

Institution Codes to request official scores to be sent to the University of Maine Graduate School:

  • GMAT: 1ZF-RM-18
  • GRE: 3916
  • MAT: 1278
  • TOEFL: 3916
Application to Graduate Certificate Programs

In addition to master’s, CAS, and doctoral degrees, the University of Maine Graduate School also offers a number of graduate certificate programs of 9-18 credits in length. For a complete listing of graduate certificates follow this LINK. Graduate certificates are focused on professional preparation and often comprise a portion of the curriculum of a graduate degree program, and thus, the credits may usually be applied to a graduate degree. The graduate certificate application is not as lengthy as the application for graduate degree. To download a copy of the graduate certificate application, click HERE.

Application as a Non-Degree Graduate Student

Graduate non-degree students are those whose interest in advanced study is not related to a certificate or degree program or whose previous background or work does not immediately qualify them for admission to the Graduate School. A Bachelor’s degree is required in order to establish graduate non-degree status. Non-degree students are not eligible for federal financial aid. To download a copy of the graduate non-degree application and course registration form, click HERE.

International Applicants

International applicants are strongly encouraged to view some additional application information HERE.

All international applicants are required to submit scores of the TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) unless they have a degree from an English speaking institution.

All international applicants are also required to submit one copy of the Certification of Finances forms, which can be downloaded HERE and a copy of their Passport or Visa.