- Prospective Students
Long-term housing for University of Maine graduate students includes semester and academic year-long arrangements. Please see below for information.
Lodging for University of Maine graduate students is currently available on campus in Stodder Hall. Housing in Stodder Hall is only available to graduate students and a limited number of mature undergraduates. It offers an exclusive warm and accommodating atmosphere aimed at the specific needs of graduate study. In addition, this facility also houses the Graduate School office, the Graduate Student Government (GSG) and Graduate Center. The location of these facilities provides graduate students a convenient, unique, and supportive environment on campus.
Facilities within Stodder Hall include:
- A community laundry room located on the first floor--machines are operated via student MaineCards
- Kitchens are located on every floor and include refrigerators, microwaves, stoves and sinks
- Lounges with couches and televisions
- Common areas
- Indoor bike parking
- 24/7 access to the Graduate Center with printing capabilities
- All rooms are wired for cable, Internet, and phone services. Costs for these are automatically included in room and board.
- Regular rooms are approximately 212 ft2 -- small singles are about half this size
If you are new or soon-to-be arriving on campus, then welcome! Moving in can be an overwhelming task, so we here at the Graduate School are interested in making it as easy as possible for you.
Our address is:
The University of Maine
Orono, ME 04469
Suggested items to bring:
- A moving cart or dolly to help move in larger items to your room (not required, but helpful!)
- Bedding (mattress pad, comforter, pillows, sheets, etc.) for a long twin bed (80" in length)
- Crates or other organizational containers
- Toiletries & Shower caddy
- Towels & flip-flops
- Laundry hamper or basket
- Laundry detergent & dryer sheets
- Power strips or extension cords –15 amp UL approved surge protectors or 3-pronged extension cords
- Refrigerator - students are permitted to have one refrigerator per residence hall room. This unit should not be more than 4 cubit feet and must be UL or FM approved, drawing no more than 10 amps and properly grounded (For information about a Microwave/Fridge combo, visit www.universityelectronics.com/uom.html)
- Television & DVD, Video game equipment, etc.
- Alarm clock
- First aid supplies
- Small kitchen items such as pots, pans, plates, cups, bowls and utensils
- Fans – as long as they are UL certified
- Phone for dorm room
- Bicycle with lock
- Floor Rug – hall rooms have tile floors
- Ethernet & Cable Cords – available for purchase at the University Bookstore
For any general questions you might have, please feel free to visit the official Graduate Housing Website.
Your MaineCard allows you to easily and efficiently purchase food at the Union and dining halls, print and photocopy documents, buy school supplies at the University Bookstore, purchase tickets for the Maine Center for the Arts, and more! For more information on how to get your MaineCard please visit the MaineCard Service Center. For more information on how to transfer funds to your MaineCard, please click here.
In addition to the centrally located Union, the University of Maine has several other dining halls and services. Please visit their website, or view the costs of available meal plans (for the academic year 2012-13).
At the end of the semester when you are ready to check out of your room, please review this 'to-do' list:
- Have you removed all of your belongings?
- Have you emptied your mailbox?
- Have you cleaned and arranged your room neatly?
- Have you removed your trash and cleaned the floor?
- Have you set up a forwarding mail address? (Update MaineStreet and USPS!)
- See a Graduate School Staff member to complete the Room Condition Form for the room, or to retrieve an Express Checkout Card*
- If you have a roommate please come to an agreement for one checkout option
Failure to follow the tasks on this list may result in charges on your student account! The following may be assessed:
- Room cleaning (per hour charge)
- Improper checkout
- Removal of personal belongings (per hour charge)
- Disposal of property
*Express checkout allows you to move out anytime before deadline, but should only be done if you are unconcerned about damages. Students who use express checkout waive their right to appeal charges. To obtain an express checkout card, please see one of the Graduate School staff members. Before you leave, just remember to stick the signed card in your mailbox!
*Traditional checkout should be the method one uses if they're at all concerned about damages. By selecting this method of checkout, you are able to appeal the decision to charge your account. If you select this method, please inform one of the Graduate School staff members so that they may accompany you to the room and assist you in filling out the Room Condition Form.
The Graduate School offers short-term dorm-style housing for current and prospective students as well as visiting researchers and post-docs working with on-campus faculty who need to stay on campus for a limited amount of time.
Rates are: $25.50 per night without linens / $35.50 per night with linens (includes sheets, blanket, pillow, towel, hand towel, washcloth, and bar soap).
Visitors are provided with the basics:
- Twin sized bed
- Desk and chair
- Box fan
- Linens are provided at extra cost
- Guests should bring their own toiletries, kitchen utensils, and food
In order to make reservations, we require that guests supply us with the proper information including:
- Billing information
- Student ID number if registered student
- Contact phone number and email address
- Exact dates of arrival and departure
- Choice of linens or no linens
- Arrival time for keycard pickup*
*Guests who will be picking up their keycards after 4:30 pm on the scheduled check-in day need to inform Dottie Poisson immediately (see contact info below). Arrangements for after-hours pickup at the University of Maine Police Station located on the Rangeley Road will be made (photo ID required).
Amenities for guests include:
- Common rooms
- 24/7 access to Graduate Center with printing capabilities