Register for Classes

General Information
Continuous Enrollment
Add and Drop
Extramural and Away Registration
Summer Session
600-Level Courses

General Information. Most graduate students register at the Graduate School. Graduate students initiate registration procedures with their advisor or the Graduate Coordinator of their department or program, and bring, mail, or FAX registration forms, signed by the advisor, to the Graduate School. New students are urged to register as early as possible prior to the start of the semester. Students already in residence and continuing for the succeeding semester should pre-register. A late fee is charged to students not paying their tuition and fees on or before the date designated each semester by the Office of Student Records. Registrations cannot be accepted by telephone.

A full listing of current course offerings is available on Mainestreet.

Graduate assistants must maintain full-time registration status (usually six or more degree hours per semester) while they hold an assistantship, and they may not register for more than 12 credit hours in one semester. Recipients of some fellowships and scholarships are required to register for a minimum of nine degree hours each semester. Students with assistantships in the summer must register for at least one graduate credit hour to be considered full-time. Students must be registered in the semester in which they graduate to be considered full-time.  Doctoral students who have been admitted to candidacy, students on approved internships in food science and psychology, and students (both PhD & Masters) who have applied to graduate, may register for fewer than 6 credits and still be considered full-time.

Continuous Enrollment. Continuous enrollment means every graduate student admitted for full-time study is required to register each fall and spring semester for at least 6 credit hours except as noted above. Full-time students must register each semester from the time of the first enrollment in the Graduate School until the completion of all requirements for the graduate degree, including filing the thesis or dissertation and passing the final oral examination.

A graduate student who has been admitted for work on a part-time basis is required to enroll and register at least once every 12 months from the time of first registration in the Graduate School until the completion of all requirements for the graduate degree.

Course work included in a student’s program of study taken at a campus other than the University of Maine may satisfy the continuous enrollment requirement provided the student’s University of Maine advisor and the Graduate School have approved the registration in advance and in writing.

A student who fails to maintain continuous enrollment is considered inactive and must apply for readmission to the Graduate School in order to resume work on a graduate degree.

In all cases, students must be enrolled in the semester in which they graduate.


Add-and-Drop. Beginning on the first day of classes each semester, there is a five-day period during which a student can add or drop a course, change divisions of a course, or change credit status. Courses can be dropped only during the official add-and-drop period. Consult the Graduate School for registration and add-and-drop procedures. Failure to properly drop a course may result in tuition charges.

On-Leave. Degree students who will not be taking classes must apply for on-leave status. Failure to be officially on-leave results in broken enrollment, and the student must apply for readmission to finish his or her degree. The time spent officially on-leave does not count in the time-limits for earning degrees. Students may not register as graduate students while on leave.


Extramural and Away Registration. A student may arrange to study at another institution after being admitted as a graduate student at the University of Maine. This study may be undertaken at another campus in the University of Maine system or at another accredited institution within or outside the state of Maine. Such arrangements must, however, be approved by the student’s advisor and by the Graduate School prior to registration in the course. The required forms for Extramural Credit and Away Registration, available from the Graduate School, should be used. The conditions for transfer shall comply with basic transfer policy and may not exceed 50 percent of the student’s entire course work for the degree. Registration for extramural credit also will satisfy the continuous enrollment requirement. It is particularly important that students receiving financial aid fill out an away registration form. Failure to do so may stop receipt of financial aid funds.


Summer Session. The University offers the opportunity to pursue graduate studies during the summer. Although many graduate-level courses are offered during the summer session, the University does not guarantee that any particular course will be offered. Details regarding courses offered may be found in the Summer Session Bulletin, which may be obtained from the Summer Session Office in Chadbourne Hall or from the Graduate School Office.

The availability of individual faculty members to supervise research or to participate in final oral examinations during the summer session varies. Graduate students should determine, in advance, whether the members of their advisory committee will be available during a particular summer session.


CED Registration. All graduate students registering for CED (Continuing Education Division) courses must have been admitted to a graduate program or must have non-degree graduate student status. CED students must process their registration through the Graduate School. This is especially important for new CED graduate students in order to keep their records correct from the beginning of their programs.


600-Level Courses. Enrollment in 600-series courses is limited to graduate students who have been admitted to a degree program or have received a non-degree admission, or to a student from another recognized school who has been admitted as a transient graduate student. The instructor normally is the final authority in judging a student’s qualifications to take a particular course. In the case of 600-level business administration courses, prior approval from the Maine Business School is required, and involves submission of GMAT scores and official transcripts to the MBA program director.