Prashant Rao, M.S.
Rehabilitation and Neuromuscular Robotics Laboratory
University of Maine
Phone: (318) 516 0910
Curriculum vitae last updated on May 06, 2011
Ph.D Present - Mechanical Engineering, University of Maine, Orono, USA
Specialization: Rehabilitation and Neuromuscular Robotics
Advisor: Dr. Ashish Deshpande
M.S. 2008 - Electrical and Control Systems Engineering, Texas A&M University, Kingsville, USA
Specialization: Artificial Immune Systems, Robotics, Design, and Controls
Advisor: Dr. Rajab Challoo
B.Tech 2005 - Electronics and Communication, U.P. Technical University,
India with First class
Currently , I am pursuing research in the field of biomechanics and rehabilitation robotics. My research is centered around understanding the biomechanics of the human hand and working towards modeling its various characteristics such as, joint stiffness, passive and active dynamics, etc. Recent research was directed towards understanding the effect of varying moment arm on the stability of a muscle actuated joint. I am aiming towards coupling my knowledge in electrical engineering with mechanical engineering to be able to model and design rehabilitation and prosthetic devices targetted around the human hand.
Graduate Assistant August 2010-present
Rehabilitation and Neuromuscular Robotics Lab
University of Maine, Orono
- Understanding the effects of moment arm variations on joint stability.
- Inertial Measurement unit based robotic arm control.
- Mentor for undergraduate design projects.
Graduate Research Assistant August 2006 –December 2008
Texas A&M Kingsville, TX.
- Thesis on Navigation Control and Path Planning of Mobile Robot using Artificial Immune System based Algorithm.
- Implemented AI algorithm on Khepera 2 and a self developed mobile robot platform.
- Integrated Infra Red sensors and Ultrasonic sensors on the robot for initial sensory perception.
- Integrated a K2D vision turret analog NTSC color video camera, frame grabber for identifying the color, shape and size of the obstacle and then using AI to determine the suitable action.
- Implemented Artificial Immune Systems based mobile robot navigation on a Bluetooth based Mobile Robot for traversing unknown environment.
- Used a Class I Embedded Bluetooth module.
- Used JAVA for coding A.I. and Bluetooth communication protocols.
- Integrated sensors and vision.
- Worked on various real time control platforms using DAQ boards and mobile robots (wheeled and legged).
- Programming, circuit design and fabrication of various microcontroller and microprocessor based systems.
Co-Founder, Co-Administrator February 2003-present
- India's First online robotics community with a 20,000+ member base.
- Design and sales of the world's cheapest freeduino clone (RiDuino).
- Providing technical expertise to students, hobbyists and companies.
RELATED GRADUATE COURSEWORK
Advanced Finite Element Analysis, Advanced Vibrations, Dynamic Systems, Advanced Robotics and Automation, Neural Networks, Control Systems.
- Rao, Deshpande, Effect of Moment Arm Variations on the Joint Stiffness Characteristics of a Musculo-tendon Driven Joint (In Review), IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems, 2011, San Fransisco, California
- Rao, Challoo, Ozcelik, Navigation control and Path Mapping of a Mobile Robot using Artificial Immune Systems, 2010, International Journal of Robotics and Automation.
- Lee, Rao, Taya ,Prediction of the Production Condition of Natural Gas from Hydrate Deposits , 2008 Annual AIChE meeting.
ACTIVITIES & HONORS
- Graduate Mentor at Texas A&M University, Kingsville Robotics Lab for Maymester 2007 and 2008 Programs.
- Graduate mentor for the Yes Texas 2008 program at the computer architecture lab.
- Awarded Dean’s Graduate Scholarship, Texas A&M University-Kingsville, August 2006- August 2007.
- Conducted hands-on workshops in robot building at IEEE section, MIT, Manipal, Karnataka, India on 7th and 8th October 2005.
- Conducted hands-on workshops in robot building at IEEE section, NIT, Trichy, Tamilnadu, India on 11th, October 2005.