Classes - Membrane Water Filtration System
Throughout the world the access to clean water is a key challenge for many people in the developing and developed world. This project will utilize existing equipment to develop a membrane filtration system for cleaning of water that can be deployed rapidly to sites where contamination of the water may have occurred. In the developed world, this would be used in areas where a natural disaster had disrupted the water supply. In the developing world the need for clean water is a continuing issue and must be addressed at low cost and with a highly maintainable system.
This group must first research and understand water filtration. A portion of the pumping system already exists for inspiration and can be used for the basic parts required for developing a system. However, pressure relief and a redesign of the pumping system is needed in order to make a safe and effective reverse osmosis filter system. At the end of the year this system will go from concept and idea to a fully operational system. Test water feeds will be provided from several sources and a complete set of plans for the system will be available on the group web page. The objective is to design a system that can be deployed for both humanitarian needs as well as used in locations where an immediate need exists for clean potable water.
- Project Team Selection Complete: September 1, 2011
- First Revised Milestones Submitted: September 8, 2011
- Design Notebook Initial sign-off: September 13, 2011
- Schematic on existing system: September 22, 2011
- Initial design outline for the system: September 25, 2011
- Final system schematic: October 2nd, 2011
- First web page goes live with introductory page and menu on left. Page must include resumes, individual photos and milestones: October 4, 2011, 4 pm.
- Milestone review: October 25, 2011
- Draft Midterm Report: November 30th , 2011
- Midterm Report due as a PDF posted as a completed web page: December 8th, 5 pm
- Tests system complete and tested with multiple feeds: March 10 – 15, 2012
- Lab Cleanup & Infrastructure Project Completed: Maine Day, April 25, 2012
- Open House — Review of Projects, April 26, 2012, Afternoon
- Final Web Page submitted, for review during final exam period: Monday May 3rd, 2012 Noon