Faculty Directory - Hao
Dr. Jianjun (Jay) Hao
Research Area: Plant Pathology and Soil Microbiology
Office: 174 Hitchner Hall
Dr. Jay Hao received his B.S. degree in Agronomy (1984), and M.S. degree in Plant Pathology (1991) from Beijing Agricultural University, China. He received his Ph.D. degree in Plant Pathology from the University of California, Davis. He joined the faculty in 2013, and currently is an Assistant Professor of Plant Pathology.
Teaching: PSE457 Plant Pathology
Epidemiology and management of potato diseases.Major diseases to be studied include bacterial ring rot (Clavibactermichiganensesubsp. sepedonicus), common scab (Streptomycesspp.), late blight (Phytophthora infestans), pink rot (Phytophthora erythroseptica), and powdery scab (Spongosporasubterraneaf. sp.subterranea). I am interested in studying soil microbial communities that are associated with soil health and plant health, utilizing beneficial microorganisms (or biological control agents) to manage plant diseases. Other approaches include chemical control and fungicide resistance, molecular tools to detect and quantify plant pathogens, varietal resistance, environmental factors that impactdisease cycle and its management.
- Zhongnan Zhang, Jianjun Hao, Jiazheng Yuan, Qijian Song, David L. Hyten, Perry B. Cregan, Guorong Zhang, CuihuaGu, Ming Li, Dechun Wang. 2013. Phytophthora root rot resistance in soybean E00003. Crop Science. In print.
- Meng, Q., Hanson, L. E., Douches, D., and Hao, J. J. 2013. Managing common scab caused by Streptomyces scabies using Bacillus amyloliquefaciens BAC03 and other biomaterials. Biological Control. In print.
- Hao, J. J. and Subbarao, K. V. 2013. Distribution of lettuce big-vein under three irrigation systems. Plant Disease. In print.
- Liu, H. W., Luo, L. X., Li, J. Q., Liu, P. F., Chen, X. Y., and Hao, J. J. 2013. Pollen and seed transmission of Cucumber Green Mottle Mosaic Virus in cucumber. Plant Pathology 15:376-383.
- Lu, X. H., Jiang, H. H., and Hao, J. J. 2013. First report of Pythium recalcitrans causing carrot cavity spot. Plant Disease 97:991.
- Gachango, E., Hanson, L. E., Rojas, A., Hao, J. J., and Kirk, W. W. 2012. Fusarium spp. causing dry rot of seed potato tubers in Michigan and their sensitivity to fungicides. Plant Disease 96:1767-1774.
- Meng, Q., Jiang, H. H., Hanson, L. E., and Hao, J. J. 2012. Characterizing a novel strain of Bacillus amyloliquefaciens BAC03 for potential biological control application. Journal of Applied Microbiology 113: 1165-1175.
- Jiang, H. H., Meng, Q., Hanson, L. E., and Hao, J. J. 2012. First report of Streptomyces stelliscabiei causing potato common scab in Michigan. Plant Disease 96:904.
- Bi, Y., Jiang, H., Hausbeck, M., and Hao, J. 2012. Inhibitory effects of essential oils for controlling Phytophthora capsici. Plant Disease 96:797-803.
- Rosenzweig, N., Tiedje, J., Quensen III, J. Meng, Q., and Hao, J. J. 2012. Microbial communities associated with potato common scab suppressive soil determined by pyrosequencing analyses. Plant Disease 96: 718-725.
- Meng, Q. Yin, J. F., Rosenzweig, N., Douches, D., and Hao, J. J. 2012. Culture-based assessment of microbial communities in soil suppressive to potato common scab. Plant Disease 96: 712-717.
- Lu, X. H., Davis, R. Michael, Livingston, S., Nunez, J. J., Hao, J. J. 2012. Fungicide sensitivity of Pythium species associated with cavity spot of carrot in California and Michigan.Plant Disease 96:384-388.
- Hao, J. J., Liu, H., Gonzalez, I. R. D., Lu, X. H., Jones, A. D., and Fulbright, D. 2012. Antimicrobial activity of chestnut extracts for potential use in managing soilborne plant pathogens. Plant Disease 96:354-360.
- Zeng, W., Kirk, W., Wang, D., and Hao, J. J. 2012. Field management of Sclerotinia stem rot of soybean using biological control agents. Biological Control 60: 141-147.
- Zeng, W., Kirk, W., Wang, D., and Hao, J. J. 2012. Use of Coniothyrium minitans and other microorganisms for reducing Sclerotinia sclerotiorum. Biological Control 60: 225-232.
- Lu, X. H., Hausbeck, M. K., Liu, X. L., and Hao, J. J. 2011. Wild type sensitivity and mutation analysis for resistance risk to fluopicolide in Phytophthora capsici. Plant Disease 95: 1535-1541.
- Bi, Y., Cui, X., Lu X., Cai, M., Liu, X., and Hao, J. J. 2011. Baseline sensitivity of natural population and resistance of mutants in Phytophthora capsici to zoxamide. Phytopathology 101: 1104-1111.
- Meng, Q., Cui, X., Bi, Y., Wang, Q., Liu, X., and Hao, J. 2011. Biological and genetic characterization of Phytophthora capsici mutants resistant to flumorph. Plant Pathology 60:957-966.
- Lu, X. H., Zhu, S. S., Bi, Y., Liu, X. L., and Hao, J. J. 2010. Baseline sensitivity and resistance-risk assessment of Phytophthora capsici to iprovalicarb. Phytopathology 100: 1162-1168.
- Hao, J. J., Meng, Q. X., Yin, J. F., Kirk, W. W. 2009. Characterization of a new Streptomyces strain, DS3024, that causes potato common scab. Plant Disease 93:1329-1334.
- Hao, J. J., Yang, M. E., and Davis, R. M., 2009. Effect of soil inoculum density of Fusarium oxysporum f. sp vasinfectum race 4 on disease development in cotton. Plant Disease 93:1324-1328.
- 22. Gong, S., Hao, J., Xia, Y., Liu, X., and Li, J. 2009. Inhibitory effect of bionic fungicide 2-allylphenol on Botrytis cinerea (Pers. ex Fr.) in vitro. Pest Manag. Sci. 65: 1337-1343.
Image Description: Hao
Back to Faculty Directory