Institutional Review Board for the Protection of Human Subjects (IRB) - Required Training
ALL personnel named in an existing or new “Application for Approval of Research with Human Subjects” must complete the Collaborative Institutional Training Initiative (CITI) web-based training on the protection of human subjects.
The CITI training is valid for four years from the date of completion. After four years, the “refresher” modules will need to be completed (you will receive a reminder from CITI).
It is estimated that the training will take 4-5 hours and five log-ins to complete. Passing score for quizzes is 70%. The components of the CITI training include:
- Electives: Select the area(s) pertaining to your research. You might need to take more than one, but you will be required to take at least one (this is a CITI Program “Electives” feature that we could not change). These electives do not appear until you have completed one of the above courses. If none of the electives seems relevant to your research, please call the IRB Office (1-1498) for guidance.
- International Research
- Internet Research
- Research with Children
- Research with Prisoners
- Research in Public Elementary and Secondary Schools (we recognize the heading states “Public,” but please take this module if your research is conducted in private elementary/secondary schools)
Instructions for Accessing Training (SUGGESTION: print instructions before going to the CITI site):
- Go to www.citiprogram.org.
- Click on “Register Here” next to New Users.
- From the drop down menu, select University of Maine System.
- Fill in the remaining (member) information. Remember to keep your log in and password for future use.
- Next, you will be asked to select one learner group based on your role. The Human Subjects choices are listed under Question 1 of the menu (Social and Behavioral Research Investigators will be the one most often chosen and is the 2nd choice under Question 1). Once you have completed your selection, complete the curriculum and associated tests you have selected. (You will be able to go back and add another learner group if needed.)
- After you finish the learner group, you will be asked to select an elective (International Research, Internet Research, Research with Children, Research with Prisoners, Research in Public (or private) Elementary and Secondary Schools,). You may need to take more than one elective based on your research. Note: You must take at least one elective. This is a CITI Program feature that we could not change. If none of the electives seems relevant to your research, please call the IRB Office (1-1498) for guidance.
- You may exit and re-enter the CITI site as often as needed to complete the selected curriculum. Each time you exit, your progress will be recorded, so that you can continue where you left off.
- Once you have completed a course, you will be able to print out a completion report(s) from your learner’s menu. We suggest you print the reports and keep them on file. A copy is automatically sent to the IRB Office, so you do NOT need to send copies.
Back to Institutional Review Board for the Protection of Human Subjects (IRB)