Faculty & Staff Resources
Trainings for Faculty and Staff
- Touchstone Basics (10-15 minutes)
- Introduces participants to Touchstone and the Counseling Center.
- Informs faculty and staff of the basics of suicide prevention.
- Describes the intervention and referral basics.
- Touchstone Resource Training (2 hours)
- Learn to recognize early signs of depression and suicide
- Learn more about the resources on campus
- Develop more comfort and skill in talking about depression and suicide.
- Practice making interventions and referrals.
Upcoming Resource Trainings
If you would like to schedule a training for your department, email Charles McKay on First Class.
If you are concerned about a student, please contact the Counseling Center at 581-1392 and check out our website at www.umaine.edu/counseling
Student Behavioral Review Team (SBRT)
In response to the tragedies of Virginia Tech and Northern Illinois, colleges across the country have created teams that review student cases in which one or more person is concerned about a student who may be struggling in the classroom and beyond.
SBRT is UMaine’s multidisciplinary team of professionals who review cases and create appropriate and timely responses to students who may need assistance to be successful at UMaine.
- If you are concerned about a student, please contact either the Associate Dean of Students, Kenda Scheele, or the Director of the Counseling Center, Doug Johnson.
Consultation and Referral Services
- Web-based Screening Assessment available for students who are resistant to coming into the Counseling Center. To take this assessment, click here.
- Free consultation with Counseling Center clinician
- Web resources about mental health on website
- The national hotline can be a great resource for students who are in distress and apprehensive about connecting with services. 1-800-273-TALK (8255)
For more information, contact Charles McKayon FirstClass.